Chicken thighs are delicious and so very easy: you sear the tops of the thighs on top of the oven, then take the skillet and finish them off at 475 degrees. When you take them out of the oven, set the chicken aside and pour out the chicken grease minus two tablespoons. Put over a medium heat, add the risotto rice and leeks, and sauté for 4 minutes, then cook down wine and stock and follow the instructions below.
First thing is to make the chicken:
Skillet Roasted Chicken Thighs
Chicken thighs are often overlooked as everyone is usually clamoring for skinless chicken breasts, which are also very tasty but you have to go back to the delicious crispy thigh that has some heat marinated into the meat. This is an easy, fast and inexpensive dish. Be sure to cook it just before your guests arrive…
Ingredients for Risotto
- 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken grease left in the skillet after the thighs are cooked
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups leeks, white and rough chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups (or more) hot chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons shaved or chopped black truffle (optional)
- Maldon Sea Salt
- Red pepper flakes
- When you finish making the skillet chicken, remove the chicken and pour out all but two/three tablespoons of the remaining chicken grease. Scrape up, but leave in the skillet all of the chicken bits on the bottom. Put the skillet over a medium flame and add the rice and leeks. Sauté until the leeks are translucent.
- Lower the flame to a simmer, add the wine and stir until the liquid is almost fully absorbed in the rice. Then do so with the chicken stock, one cup at a time, taking about twenty minutes in total. The rice should be creamy and al dente. No one likes mushy risotto, it is disgusting.
- Take off the heat and add two tablespoons of butter, cheese and salt/red pepper flakes to taste. Plate the risotto and top with a chicken thigh.
I made this recently for the family and got the most compliments I’ve ever gotten on a meal. It was all thumbs up and 10 out of 10.