This variation of the wildly popular Thai Tom Yum Soup was driven by the lack of access to Asian specialty stores. We tinkered with this many times and used what was available at local grocery stores, and I think the end result was excellent.
Share on TwitterTweet
- 2 quarts of homemade chicken stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 to 4 red hot chili peppers, seeded and thinly sliced, depending on your heat index
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, zested and juiced, separated
- 1 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of lemongrass stir-in paste
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger stir-in paste
- 4 ounces of rice noodles
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained and rough chopped
- 2 pounds peeled, deveined shrimp with the tails removed (frozen are fine)
- 1 cup cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, to taste
- 2 pinches of sugar
- Bring the stock and say sauce to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add the shallots, garlic, chili peppers and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, lime zest (reserve the juice for the end), green onions, lemon grass paste, ginger, noodles, shrimp and cilantro. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes until the noodles are al dente and the shrimp is fully cooked. Add the lime juice, water chestnuts, salt and sugar to taste.
- Serve with extra cilantro to top and drizzle red chili oil to taste.
Here are some other soups to try:
Chicken or Turkey Lemon Soup (Avgolemono)
A traditional Greek chicken lemon soup with a new approach and even more flavor.
Herbed Minty Pea Soup with Smoked Bacon
I only make fresh pea soup when the peas are available already shelled in the springtime. I just find it too much work to go through the hassle of digging through so many pea-pods, but if you have the time, go for it. For this recipe you’ll need four cups of fresh peas, or you…
Italian Turkey Soup
The last gasp of our Thanksgiving turkey is in the form of Italian turkey soup that has a hint of Tuscan flavors. This dish makes for a delicious meal when you are right back to work after the holiday and you want to take it easy getting ready for the holiday party rush. Ingredients 1…
Spicy Chicken & Mushroom Soup
Chicken soup can be delicious but often bland so I like to turn up the heat with Sriracha and soy sauce, add some cheese raviolis, button mushrooms to join the rest of the usual suspects. At the heart of a taste soup you need homemade chicken stock. There is no way around this and you…
French Onion Soup with Gruyere Crisps
Ingredients If jumping on a plane to Paris so you can grab a bowl of French onion soup at Pied de Cochon is a bit extravagant then make some at home. The classic recipe is with white wine, but I like to use a full bodied red and port for a much bolder taste. I…
Roasted Tomato, Herbed & Parmesan Soup with Cheddar Croutons
This is best served with our world famous Borough Market Toasted Cheese Sandwich. The classic mix of this soup and sandwich make for a great lunch on a cold day.Ingredients 4 Pounds of Roma tomatoes1 tablespoon of chimichurri rub1/2 cup freshly ground parmesan cheese1 tablespoon olive oil with two tablespoons of unsalted butter4 cups yellow onions,…
Tuscan Onion Soup (Carabaccia)
This hearty soup is a true Italian 🇮🇹 comfort food, rich with onions and herbs. It is a cousin to French Onion Soup. Serves 6 Ingredients Olive oil 2 cups diced pancetta 2 cups chopped celery ribs 1 cup chopped carrots 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary 2 tablespoons finely chopped…
0 comments on “Jim Yum Soup”