The greatest thing about dumplings is that you can make them with just about anything. The dough is easy to make, or you can buy dumpling wrappers at Asian specialty stores, on-line, or sometimes at a larger grocery store.
Our short rib recipe takes a lot of time and effort, so we always double or sometimes triple, the amount of ribs we make, so we have plenty of extra meat to make these dumplings or some of the other ideas below.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3-5 tablespoons of ice cold water
- or…you can buy pre-made
- Dumpling Stuffing:
- 1 quart of braised short ribs
- 1 extra large egg, beaten
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dipping Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 splash chili oil or sriracha
- 3 of 4 thin slices of a red hot chili pepper
Making the wrappers
- Put the flour in the bowl of your mixer fitted with the dough hook, turn on medium and add the cup of boiling water. Add the first three tablespoons of the cold water and if the dough does not form in a few minutes, add another and repeat, but give it time. Once the dough is formed, knead it in the mixer for five minutes. Cut the dough in half and roll into two one-inch tubes, cover until you need them. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- To make the stuffing, mix all the ingredients together. Same for the dipping sauce.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into circles. It is best to have a dumpling press, but you can fold over the dough by hand once filled.
- Assemble the dumplings but putting a teaspoon of the mix in the center, making sure the edges remain clear, and then can be pressed together. Either use a dumpling press or fold the wrapper by hand and press the edges firmly together.
- Prepare a medium pot with salted boiling water that you then turn down to a bubbling simmer. Place a sauté pan over medium-high heat, drizzle with olive oil. Put 6 dumplings at a time in the water and let cook for five minutes, then put on a paper towel for a second, then sear them in the oil for 3 minutes or so a side.
- Serve with sauce.
The world of short ribs
Braised Short Ribs
Braised short ribs are a rich and bold dish, easy to prepare and even better if you make it the day before and so they rest overnight in the refrigerator. The fat will form on the top, which is easy to scoop out and discard. Just reheat and serve, which makes for more time for…
Short Rib Taco
Making short-ribs is simple but takes a while. When I make them for a dinner party, I always make a lot extra and freeze the meat and sauce to make raviolis or in this instance short rib taco served on a grilled tortilla, with tzatziki, cheddar cheese, grilled onions and cilantro. This really makes for…
Short Rib Raviolis
I love fresh pasta, it is easy to make and and is a delicious lunch, simple dinner or elegant appetizer. There are so many variations the options are endless. Our recipes, intentionally, always end up with lots of extras and I will often seek to incorporate leftovers into some sort of ravioli. That is if…
Beef Short Rib Pasta
If you have the time, you can turn a relatively inexpensive cut of meat into an amazingly rich and flavorful pasta dish. The flavors can stand on their own without the addition of a decadent shaving of black truffles, but I always like the extra kick. I started making this this dish when I would…
0 comments on “Fried Short Rib Dumplings”