This is for that lazy weekend when you just want a simple yet delicious dinner. As with everything, your success will come from planning and top-quality ingredients. The secret for this spatchcocked grilled chicken is the size of the bird… forget about those oversized birds called roasters… go small and tender.
- 1 3-4 pound chicken, spatchcocked (save the backbone for making chicken stock)
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 cups of Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ Sauce
- 8-12 sprigs of rosemary
- 24 hours in advance, season then marinate the chicken in BBQ sauce in a gallon bag, refrigerate.
- Cook the bird on direct and indirect heat. On a gas grill, turn half on full-blast and the other half off. Shut lit and let heat up for 20 minutes or so.
- Grill the bird breast side down for 5 minutes, just till it chars a bit.
- Lay the rosemary out on the part of the grill not lit, flip the chicken breast side up over the rosemary and shut the lid for 45 minutes (basting with the sauce twice in that period), then open the lid and move chickens back to direct heat for 10 minutes. Afterward, remove, tent tinfoil over and let rest for 15 minutes, then cut and serve.