When it comes to a larger party, I like to have everything done before people walk in the door. I like to make mini pastrami sandwiches with caramelized onions, an extra sharp cheddar cheese and a Sriracha aioli on a brioche or potato roll. All you have to do is broil or grill the rolls, then put the pre-made pastrami mix under the broiler, stack on the roll, add the sauce and you have a hearty cocktail snack. This recipe makes 24 sandwiches.
The best thing you can do is greet each guest with an amazing appetizer to kick off a party
- 24 mini party rolls, brioche or potato
- 4 pounds of smoked butcher made pastrami
- 1 pound of extra sharp cheddar cheese, yellow or orange, shredded
- 6 large yellow onions, peeled and cut into half moon slices, 1/4 inch thick, caramelized
- 2 cups mayonaise
- 4-6 dashes of Sriracha, to taste
- 1 tablespoon of brandy
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Caramelize the onions for an hour
- Take out a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and when hot, add the separated slices of pastrami and sear all at once. Then, take out two half baking sheets and place 12 mounds of pastrami on each. Put the onions on top, then add the shredded cheese.
- Make the sauce and set aside for after broiling. Whisk together the mayonnaise, Sriracha and brandy, and put in a dispenser (similar to what diners have for ketchup).
- When you are ready to serve, put the rack in your oven near the top, and turn the broiler on high. First quickly toast the inside of the rolls, then put in the pastrami mounds to melt the cheese. Remove from the oven and place the mounds, one by one, on the rolls. Add the sauce, top with the bun and serve.