This is a more flavorful version of the ever-so-famous Cache e Pepe, but we add a lot more herbs and red pepper flakes to raise its flavor profile.
- 1 pound of bucatini pasta
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, insanely thinly sliced
- 1 cup of basil, chiffoned
- 1/4 cup dill or cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Take a pot and fill it with enough water to cook your pasta, then add two tablespoons of kosher salt. Bring to a boil and add the pasta. Cook for 2/3 of the instructed time – you want it under-cooked when you remove from the water.
- When the water is close to boiling, place a sauté pan with high sides over medium high heat, and bring 4 tablespoons of butter and the olive oil to bubbling, then sauté the red pepper flakes and shallots for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and herbs, and sauté for two minutes, then add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the under-cooked pasta, with 3/4 of a cup of the pasta water and finish the pasta. Add the Parmesan, a teaspoon of salt and the same amount of the pepper. Stir, put in a serving bowl and top with more of the herbs, red pepper flakes and Parmesan cheese.