To be honest, I am not a big fan of breakfast. Yes I am fully aware that it is the most important meal of the day but in my opinion is that most morning meals are rushed, tasteless and overly simple. However, if done right, you can take a simple menu and make it spectacular. It is all about the ingredients and preparation of the meal. No one likes a low-energy cook in the kitchen so take the extra time and make breakfast great again. MBGA!
For example, breakfast sausages are a cheap meat that are artificially flavored, so better to go to your butcher and get freshly made pork sausages and grill them. Replace sliced sandwich bread with a hearty thickly sliced loaf of bread that has been toasted and brushed with the best butter your market has.
The eggs, however, are the star attraction and need a lot of attention. It is a slow process cooking the eggs over a low heat and taking the pan off and on the heat constantly. In the end you will have a light and fluffy scrambled eggs with fresh herbs and amazing cheeses. Supermarket eggs will do but if you can get to a farmers market and grab some fresh egg you will certainly tell the difference.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 9 extra large eggs, fresh from the farmstead if possible
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (more if you like)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- Sprinkle of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Set the flame as low as it will go on your stove, place a pan and add the butter, wait until melted and crack the eggs one at a time in a bowl and add to the pan, one after the other. With a wooden spoon start mixing the eggs as they slowly cook, two minutes on the heat, two minutes off….over and over until they start to take shape, when they are still runny add the kosher salt, pepper, feta cheese, basil and mix in until they still have a shine but firm, add the cream and take off the heat. The cream will stop the eggs from cooking as you plate the eggs in a serving dish. Top with the parmesan, chives and sea salt and pepper
Be sure to check out some of our other recipes:
0 comments on “Slow Scrambled Eggs with Herbs & Cheese”