Just before a party starts at the house, we get the houseterns in their zone by yelling out “let’s hit it,” meaning get in gear and make this event perfect. It’s that generation looking for a compliment for showing up within a half hour late. Out battle-cry is more to get them focused on what they need to do, especially when there is frying involved. You have tp be focused at all times when you have a pot of bubbling grease.
I never liked fried cheese as it was always tasteless mozzarella that was greasy and served with a near tasteless marinara sauce. However if you use cheese curds, the moist pieces of curdled milk, you will create a light fried cheese and serve with a flavorful cilantro dipping sauce. I like to add garlic powder and curry to really fire up the flavor.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup club soda, ice cold
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 pound cheese curds
- 1 quart oil for frying
- Cilantro dipping sauce
- Mix the flour, baking, curry and garlic powders with the club soda, use three fingers and don’t over mix, you want the bubbles to be preserved for a light and airy fried cheese curds, but be prepared for a thick batter, but it will fry to be a light crisp coat over the cheese
- Bring the oil to 370 degrees, measured by a candy thermometer. Toss the curds in the batter then fry for ONE minute or so, season with kosher salt to taste and serve with the cilantro dipping sauce