When summer hits it’s time to take it easy and have some simple meals that can feed an army–and not rip up your budget. I love the simplicity of grilled sausages, caramelized onions on a brioche hot-dog bun with mozzarella cheese. The trick of it, of course, is the quality of the sausages. I highly recommend going to your butcher and get a mix of hot and medium Italian sausages. If you have a great butcher they might make the sausages fresh for you and you can have different herbs mixed in to your liking. The caramelized onions bring this meal to another level.
- 8 Italian Sausages from your local butcher, a mix of hot and mild, depending on your taste
- Caramelized onions, finished off at the end with 1 tablespoon each of Worcestershire sauce and aged balsamic vinegar
- 8 Slices of mozzarella cheese
- 8 Potato hot dog buns
- Make the caramelized onions to instructions, but when almost finished add balsamic and Worcestershire sauce, let cook down for another two minutes
- Turn the grill to medium high and shut lid for 15 minutes, prick the sausages with a fork, lower the grill to medium and cook for 12+ minutes. You will want the internal temperature to get to 160, remove from grill and wrap in tinfoil for 5 minutes
- Grill the buns, layer the slice on the bottom of the bun, add the hot caramelized onions then the sausage, serve