We were cooking with Chef Patrick O’Connell at his famed Michelin 3 star restaurant and he showed us how to make a masterfully crafted and delicious, silky sunchoke puree. This is an amazing side to anything you would use a pureed potato but is just a bit more amazing.
- 1/2 pound sun chokes, cleaned and peeled
- 3 cups of whole milks, or enough to cover
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Kosher salt and sugar to taste
- Add the sunchokes to a medium saucepan and cover with the milk, place over a medium-low flame, cook for 30 minutes, until tender and remove from heat. Strain and reserve the milk
- Combine the sunchokes and heavy cream in a blender and puree until smooth. Add the reserve milk, as needed, to keep it from becoming too think, but not too mush so it is runny. Adjust with salt and sugar to taste, serve immediately or you can keep in the refrigerator for a day and gently reheat