Every time we are in London we go to our favorite spot, Le Petit Maison, and their amazing Chef, Rafeal, creates a must have baked aubergine dish, French for Eggplant, with fresh pesto, mozzarella and shrimp is a warm, comforting and tasty appetizer or for lunch.
This is the same restaurant I was having lunch with a friend who just flew in from Toronto and told him about this antique wooden fish I just bought and was going to put in my kitchen and without a pause he said, “ah, le poisson bleu.” So it all started there, over this dish and maybe a glass of wine.
- 4 eggplants, I prefer the smaller ones, cut 1/2 in thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chimichurri rub or dried oregano
- Homemade basil pesto
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 large shrimp per slice, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- A handful of Arugula
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Take the shrimp and toss them in a bowl with 1/4 cup of your pesto and let sit in the refrigerator for an hour
- At the same time take out a baking sheet and lay the eggplant slices, sprinkle with salt on both sides, put in a colander and let the water sweat out for an hour, brush off the salt and dry with paper towels, put back on the baking sheet, lined with tinfoil, sprinkle with chimicurri rub on both sides and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, remove from oven and flip over and bake for 15 more minutes and remove
- Layer each slice with pesto, top with a good amount of mozzarella, another light drizzle of pesto and then top with 2 of the shrimp
- Put back in the oven, on the top wrack and bake for another 5 minutes and finish off on broil, remove when the cheese starts to bubble and begins to brown, remove and plate, finish with little arugula and parmesan thrown about and serve