Every October of late, we do a joint “non-birthday’ birthday seated dinner with good friends on Sullivan’s Island. Sullivan’s Island is the size of a postage stamp and has a strong sense of community often lost in a beach town. This year, we decided to do a progressive party starting at the the home of my fellow birthday friend a few blocks away with tasty starters and plenty of libations. After about a 90 minute, warm-up at their amazing deck at sunset, our next stop was Station 28 1/2 where we set up a bonfire for some early evening fun. This time of the year in the Low Country, it reaches 80 degrees during the day, but cools to the mid 60s at night–perfect time for a bonfire.
After a great time around a roaring beach fire and the scent of fall descending upon us, we ventured to Le Poisson Bleu, the silly nickname for our house because it’s blue, really blue. Since there were so many moving parts to the “non-birthday” evening, we thought it would be easy to cook as soon as we got home. We did a bucatini mac ‘n cheese and chicken & sausage kabobs. We had our famous housetern Jack pop the mac ‘n cheese in the oven 25 minutes or so before we got back and fire up the grill. The only thing we had to do when we arrived was grill the tasty marinated kabobs.
Makes 12 Kabobs
- 3 pounds of boneless chicken breasts , cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Chimichurri Rub or oregano
- 2 tablespoons garlic flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- Juice of two lemons
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 yellow and 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 in chunks
- 24 red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk the ketchup, soy sauce, canola, chimichurri, garlic, onions, lemon juice, salt and pepper, toss in the chicken and fully incorporate, then marinate in the refrigerator ideally for 24 hours (or at least 12 hours).
- Soak 12 wooden skewers in water for an hour
- Stack a piece of chicken, onion, tomato, chicken, red pepper, chicken, yellow pepper and chicken
- Turn the grill to medium heat and grill the kabobs for 10-15 minutes, or until the juices run clear