The Patty Melt: Burger + Grilled Cheese = Delicious
I am not sure who married the burger to a grilled cheese, but I have been a fan of patty melts since my childhood in the seacoast of New Hampshire when the local burger joint, Friendly’s, was the go-to lunch spot for the 12 to 17 year old crowd. They mastered the Fribble, their version of a massive milk-shake that was a perfect compliment to their patty melt, which was a burger put in the middle of a grilled cheese sandwich. It was delicious and greatly influenced our own version, packed with more flavor that makes an amazing lunch treat.
Using a high quality burger mix with a powerful kick of ingredients blended in and then taking the cheese mix from our favorite toasted cheese recipe that we nicked from Borough Market in London, is a perfect combination for a high powered lunch. Powered with flavor that is.
- 3 pounds of 80:20 mix of freshly ground meat, each patty would be ~4 ounces
- 1 cup of red onion finely chopped
- 2 peeled shallots finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of cimichurri mix/ rub
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1 cup of gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
Cheese Mix & Sandwich
- 1 pound of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese. They use Montgomery Cheddar as the main cheese. Whole Foods has started to carry this cheddar from Neal’s Yard Dairy, which is also located in Borough Market. But it can be pricey so Cabot extra sharp at Costco is a much better deal.
- 2 ounces of shredded Comte cheese
- 2 ounces of shredded Ogleshield cheese
- For those in the US, replace the Comte and Ogleshield cheese with 4 ounces of shredded Gruyere cheese. I actually like it better.
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped leeks, white part
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped white onion
- 1 clove of crushed then chopped garlic
- 24 slices of Poilane sourdough bread, or any sourdough from a proper bakery
- Good mayonnaise
- Put the meat, onion, shallot, cream, gruyere cheese, pepper flakes, garlic, chimichurri, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper in a bowl and flake with a fork until mixed completely
- Roll onto 4 oz balls and let rest to room tempertature, about 20 minutes
- Shape the patties into the shape of the bread
- Shred the cheeses and put in a bowl, add the leeks, red & white onions, garlic and gently mix together with a fork
- Invest in a large double burner cast iron griddle or cook the burger in batches, about 2-3 minutes each side, set aside and wipe the griddle, take the bread and slather one side of each peice with mayonnaise, with the mayonnaise side down load up with the cheese mix, put the burger on top and then more cheese mix on top then add the other piece of bread with the mayonnaise facing upward, put on griddle for about three minutes each side until golden brown and the cheese has melted