We are in Spain a lot and after a long day of meetings we like find the closest tapas bar available, grab a few glasses of wine and enjoy the many dishes available to snack on. Since dinner isn’t until 10PM this is just a holdover to that later meal. The one tapas I always look for is a roasted chorizo sandwich with a smoky and nutty cheese called Idiazabel. Keep in mind that the quality of the chorizo will directly impact the taste of your sandwich. You can find the cheese in the specialty store or a high-end supermarket. I use ciabatta bread but cut out the middle and bake either bread crumbs or croutons.
- 8 ounces of high quality chorizo, sliced
- 8 ounces of Idiazabal cheese
- 1 loaf of ciabatta bread, using only the top and bottom 1/4 inch
- Turn the oven to 375 degrees
- Take the ciabatta and cut into squares for sandwiches, lay them out on a baking sheet and toast on the top rack for 5 minutes
- At the same time put in a baking sheet with the chorizo slices on and leave in seven minutes
- Take the bread, layers on 3-4 slices of the chorizo, a good amount of cheese, top it and serve