When I start planning a menu, the first thing I do is take inventory of what is in the kitchen. If I spot a loaf of crusty country bread that is past its prime, I immediately put Panzanella on the plan for dinner, which is basically our Cucumber Dill Salad with croutons, feta and some extra veggies.
I added some non-traditional and optional items to my version of this Tuscan inspired salad including turning up the volume of these croutons.
- 1 loaf of crusty country bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Put the bread in a mixing bowl
- Place all the other ingredients in another mixing bowl and whisk together- pour over bread and mix thoroughly mix
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes, use a spatula to toss 3-4 times while cooking