We were in Istanbul for our friend Mohammed’s wedding and had plenty of time to explore the amazing food markets of Turkey. We had lunch right near the famous spice market and had the most amazing Lamb Kaftas that varied from the traditional preparation at most spots around the world. I have since tried to recreated the recipe for many BBQs at LPB.
- 2 pounds of ground lamb
- 4 garlics cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Optional: 2 cups of crumbled feta cheese (I always choose this option)
- 2 tablespoons of Chimichurri Rub
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs, soaked in 1/4 cup of whole milk
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 extra large eggs, whisked together
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of ground allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
Mix all of the ingredients together with your hands, do not compress the meat. Wrap the meat around a bamboo skewers that you have soaked in water for at least 30 minutes creating a ‘meat stick.’
Grill on high for 3 minutes or so, each side.
Serve with grilled pita bread and Tzatziki with Fresh Herbs