Leon’s Oyster Shop in Charleston is a favorite spot for fried chicken, oysters and if you get there in person be sure to sample their amazing appetizers and side dishes. One of my favorite salads is a creamy dill buttermilk wedge salad which is the inspiration for this recipe.
- 2 heads of iceberg lettuce, cut into 1 1/2 inch slices
- 1 container cherry or small tomatoes, cut in half or whole if small
- 2 cups of Panko breadcrumbs that have been toasted on a dry pan over medium high heat until they are lightly browned
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, rough chopped
For the Dressing:
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 scallions, white and green parts minced
- 1/4 cup dill, stems removed
- 6 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup 0% fat, Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Making the dressing first
- Fit your food processor with the steel blade and add garlic and mince. Then add the scallions, basil and dill and pulse until finely chopped
- Add the lemon juice, Dijon, mayonnaise, olive oil, buttermilk, yogurt and seasonings. Pulse until fully blended and refrigerate for at least two hours.
Assemble the Salad
- Take the cold iceberg wedges and put them on a large tray like fallen dominos, drizzle a liberal amount of dressing, then sprinkle lots of toasted bread crumbs, finish with the tomatoes and dill.