If you ever make your way to Charleston or Nantucket, stop by 167 Raw for their amazing lobster roll. It is simple and delicious. To top it off they have their own brioche rolls made at a nearby baker and they use clarified butter to grill them.
That said, I like to power-pack the lobster with our own vinaigrette then a light touch of mayonnaise, herbs and celery.
Makes 12 rolls
- 6 cups of rough chopped lobster meat, for planning every 1 pound of a live lobster yields about 2 cups of meat
- 1/2 a cup of our Northeast Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, more if you like
- 1 cup of finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- Tarragon & chives, chopped to taste
- Clarified butter from one stick
- 12 brioche or potato hot dog rolls, or if you are serving as an appetizer than use Martin’s Party Rolls (the mini ones, 24 to a package)
- Take the lobster meat and marinate with the northeast vinaigrette in the refrigerator for 4 hours
- Remove the garlic cloves and drain dressing
- Mix lobster meat with the celery, mayonnaise, red onion
- Grill brioche rolls with the clarified butter*
- Add lobster meat and serve
From Epicurious.com: Clarified Butter, cut butter into 1-inch pieces and melt in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and let stand 3 minutes. Skim froth and slowly pour butter into a measuring cup, leaving milky solids in bottom of pan. Discard milky solids.