I don’t like to do a lot of dinner parties in early January because everyone is on some ridiculous diet, cleanse, or exercise program. Short lived and tiring, indeed, You know that time of year, people are posting from the gym, pictures of bright new cross trainers pop up in Instagram and on and on.
We always say, why not exercise in moderation, at a level that is appropriate for your age and ability. We once had a near 50 year old friend rip his shoulder out of his socket in some cross fit nonsense. Get sin hape quickly is a very dangerous time of year and people fear a little cream and butter more?
It’s all about balance.
Look at this ridiculous dessert as a prime example. Sure it’s a bit over the top but make it a few times a year, eat one each time and share the rest. This is a tasty treat and a sister to our Toffee Cookies.
- 18 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (16 tablespoons)
- 3/4 cup each of light brown sugar and granulated sugar
- 4 extra large eggs
- 2 Teaspoon of high quality vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 cup of chopped heath bars (4 1.4 oz bars( or other toffee bits, tossed with, mix with one tablespoon of flour
- 1 1.4 oz heath bar, chopped to top the mix
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- Melt the butter in a double boiler then add the chocolates and keep over a medium heat until fully melted, then let cool by adding the chilled heavy cream
- In another bowl, stir together the sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee granules
- In yet another bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together and then add to the chocolate mixture
- Mix in the toffee pour the batter into the pan…if you want to really do it up, chop up another half cup of toffee and toss on top
Tine to Cook
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees or so and do the old standard check, put a toothpick in the brownies and if it comes out clean the brownies are done
- Let the brownies cool for 15 minutes in the refidgerator and then heap on a big dollop of kalua infused whipped cream, then sprinkle with more chopped toffee
Yes it is ridiculous and that is what people want. Just look at the plates afterwards.