Roasted red peppers are a great and easy side dish for any meal and have so many more uses from bruschetta to risotto It’s a multi-step process as you have to first blister the peppers to get the skin off, remove the seeds then roast again but it is well worth it. Specialty stores have done the first step for you by selling already peeled peppers. Do not, however, buy the jarred peppers. No.
Ih you are using this recipe for another dish, just skip the basil.
- 8 red bell pepper
- Olive oil
- Basil, sliced very thinly
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ROAST OR GRILL: Turn the oven to 500 degrees and put in the peppers on a baking sheet, cook until the skins are wrinkled and charred or do so on an outdoor grille, set high. Either way be sure to turn the peppers throughout the process, around 30 minutes for roasting, 20 minutes on the grille
- When the peppers are properly charred put them in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap
- After 30 minutes. emove each stem and cut the pepper in half, Scrape the seeds and septum off, flip over and rub the skin off with your fingers
- Place the inside part of the pepper down on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Liberally sprinkle salt on top with Maldon sea salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil
- Turn oven to 400 degrees and roast the seasoned peppers for 15 minutes, drizzle A LOT of olive oil, liberally sprinkle sliced basil and season to taste with Maldon salt