There are so many variations of tzatziki sauce it is hard to keep up with. I like a very robust and rich sauce. It is important to make at least 4 hours ahead to ensure all the flavors blend together. This is my take on tzatziki and certainly has more of a flavor base than traditional preparations. As our neighbor Gallie says, either go big or go home.
- 2 cups of 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup of creme fraiche or sour cream. I find creamy fraiche makes the sauce heartier
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, but seeded. Just cut it down the middle and use a spoon so scrape out the seeds then finely chop
- 1/4 finely crumbled feta cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon of freshly chopped basil
- 2-3 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of red onion, chopped very finely
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Mix all of the ingredients and set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle a few pinches of dill before serving.