Cheese stuffed with cheese is a great twist to the traditional baked brie that is so often served in the holiday season. First thing, we switch out the brie and stuff it with other cheeses. Then, wrap it in pastry dough, wash with an egg bath and bake until golden brown. And yes, feta is everywhere in this blog and in the middle of this golden wheel of goodness.
- Small wheel of camembert cheese. This cheese traditionally is more pungent and has a stronger, slightly sour taste than brie
- 2 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 cup of chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of light brown sugar
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 sheet of pastry dough from the freezer section of the grocer
- 1 egg
- Saute the chopped onion in a tablespoon of olive oil until translucent
- Add the spinach and sauté for a minute, add the garlic and continue for two minutes, salt and pepper to taste then add the pinch of nutmeg. Let the mix cool before mixing in feta and creme fraiche
- Cut the camembert cheese, chilled, down the center to create two wheels
- Put the spinach mix on top of the open wheel and top it with the other half, like making an Oreo cookie. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top
- Wrap the cheese wheel with the pastry dough and cut the top for the steam to escape–design as you want
- Beat the egg with a teaspoon of water and brush the pastry dough
Time to cook
- Set the oven to 400 degrees
- Cook for roughly 40 minutes until the brie is golden
- Let rest for 15 minutes and serve warm
Is that 1/2 cup of Feta? Making this tonight, looking forward to it – Thanks for this excellent Blog Jim!
Yes. Happy New Year.
Thanks! Happy New Year!
Pingback: Holiday Party Ideas – Cooking Conveniently and with Purpose #LPBcooks
Pingback: Christmas Eve Nibbles – Cooking Conveniently and with Purpose #LPBcooks
Pingback: New Year's Celebrations – Cooking Conveniently and with Purpose #LPBcooks