There is an ongoing debate about how to best scramble an egg. In South Carolina, we were celebrating Haley’s 25th birthday, when the conversation turned to breakfast talk and scrambling eggs. There were plenty of opinions, but everyone agreed on one thing: farm fresh eggs are superior.
I scramble eggs simply — in butter over a medium-high heat, constantly stirring with a rubber spatula, taking the pan on and off the heat, over and over, but always stirring. Mix in a little creme fraise at the end with some salt, ground pepper. chives and parmesan cheese and you have a creamy egg breakfast.
- 4 fresh farm raised extra large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated parmesan
- A pinch each of kosher salt and freshly count pepper
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh chives
- 1 portobello mushroom, stem removed
- 1 Roma tomato, halved
- Crusty bread
- Olive oil
- Staub oval cast iron pan
- Iron clad saute pan
- Panini press set on sear or high
- Crack the eggs and put in a plastic bowl, do not whisk
- Chop the chives
- Cut the Roma tomato in half
- Cut a thick slice of country bread, sour dough or anything in that family
Time to Cook
- Set two burners on medium high
- Sprinkle olive oil on bread and put in the panini press for 6-8 minutes
- Put a tablespoon of olive oil on the bottom of the Staub pan until hot. Drop in the portobello and tomato halves. Cook for 8 minutes or so, until the tomatoes are slightly charred and the portobello is cooked through, but still firm. Put on plate.
- At the same time, melt the butter in the sauce pan and take off the heat. Add the eggs and stir with the spatula. Keep stirring as you put the sauté pan back on the heat for 90 seconds and off the heat for 90 seconds. Keep doing this until the eggs start to form. Always keep stirring. When the eggs look nearly done, remove from the heat and add the two cheeses to slow the cooking. Add chives, salt and pepper to taste. Mix together before spooning the eggs over the mushroom.
- Serve hot